Sunday, June 22, 2008

Comments from the Land of Anti-German Obsessions

I finished reading TBT during the night Friday night. Actually I was almost finished and I must have started dreaming about the ending because it woke me up around 4:00 a.m. and I finished the last 20 pp.

A number of things are clear(er) to me now.

Someone mentioned not knowing what to say about TBT. I didn't really understand that then. I took it on faith (not having started the book at that point). Unlike Little, Big where we could read 50 pp and have a lot to say, with TBT that didn't happen. Ironically, no one liked Little, Big and everyone (who commented) liked TBT.

I absolutely agree with what you've said about the book's sensitivity, etc. What surprised me is that I didn't think I would read another book about Germans during the war that would make me feel sympathetic to their plight.

When I say "another book" I'm referring to Stones from the River by Ursula Heigi http://www.amazon.com/Stones-River-Ursula-Hegi/dp/068484477X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214151953&sr=1-1

What's interesting about the two novels -- which I hadn't thought about until now -- is that they both deal with books in the everyday lives of Germans around WWII.

What perplexes me is that I never thought I'd be able to be able to relate to/feel sorry for/sympathize with Germans of "that" generation. Yet in both cases I was able to put aside my natural predisposition to hate them and read the books. More than that, I enjoyed the books.

I can't say there was no pain involved in reading TBT. There was. Part of the pain was what Zusak writes about. Part of the pain is what he doesn't really write about. In case it isn't obvious multiply Max's story by 6 million and you'll understand what bothers me.

Having said that, what spurred me to keep reading TBT? First, the concept of having the Angel of Death as the narrator was amazing. Second, I wanted to know what would happen to Max. I got the clue early on that Leisel would make it. Putting the two of them together was perhaps obvious. But nothing wrong with a happy ending.

There are other things that I could perhaps revisit: his use of colors, for instance. The anti-Hitler comments he has people say.

I just looked for his description of why Germans like fire so much but I couldn't find it. That was incredible.

Of course, Max's fight with Hitler is probably the highlight of the book.

There are some other points that are still unclear or perhaps purposely ambiguous. What really happened to Leisel's parents? Were they Communists and as such, sent to a camp? And if that's the case, how did they make the connection with the Hubermans? Is Zusak suggesting that there was a sort of underground railroad in Germany to help "certain" people in need?

At Yad Vashem, the Israel monument to the Shoah, there is a special section about Righteous Gentiles. That is, those who risked their lives to save Jews. But here we have people who risked their lives to save Germans. Interesting juxtaposition.

I feel like I have more to say but it isn't coming at the moment. I'll try to revisit my thoughts later.

AND NOW A TECHNICAL COMMENT. When we first discussed TBT we agreed to start reading it on June 15. I knew I would be busy until about then. The fact that I couldn't comment was because I hadn't started the book. I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade so I maintained my silence which is totally out of character for me. The effect of this is that it's old news for you while I've just finished reading the book. Don't get me wrong, I'm not annoyed or anything negative. It's just kind of frustrating that we weren't on the same page so to speak.

So my suggestion is that before we choose another book we have to agree to the ground rules.

As a possibility, Hagit and I have tkts to come see my mother Sept 9-22. Perhaps we should have our next discussion in person. Maybe that will get us on track for having discussions in blog format.

Comments?

Ed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First I'll comment on your last comment: I understand what you mean about being behind in the reading because I was very much behind on the last book. I'm sorry, I didn't realize that we should have waited for you. Next book, we'll all try to be on the same page. The problem with that is that things come up and sometimes someone can be delayed even when starting out at the same time. We'll just try our best. The other possibility is that we don't discuss it until everyone has finished. Of course, the problem with that is that we are old and may not remember what we read!

I am amazed that you also thought that Max and Liesel married. No, I'm amazed that I didn't realize that as a possibility. A happy thought...

I found Death as the narrator very effective; although sometimes I forgot and then was so taken aback at some of his observations at first. Humanizing death makes it a little more palatable, doesn't it? To think that the soul is taken with some measure of compassion is better than -- never mind, I don't think I'm believing what I'm writing. A difficult topic for me, I guess.

I didn't think of the book references in Stones from the River -- you are right. And it was a wonderful book.

I don't even know what else to say except that I agree with your observations about the Germans and about the colors and fire and the fight. I'm a little sorry that I've finished the book because I want to read more.

Does anyone know anything about Zusak's other books?

Paula

one of us said...

A bit more about the narrator: In Hebrew death is usually referred to as "Malach HaMavet" or "Angel of Death." Ever since I understood what that really meant I've been amazed by the inherent juxtaposition -- angel and death. The two concepts seem so different. One of the things that Zusak accomplished is to present the Angel of Death as truly being an angel. There is sympathy and a string of positive attributes in Zusak's portrayal of death. Also he makes it clear that most of the deaths that took place were not his idea. Human beings were responsible. I guess this may be considered "Deus ex machina" for the 21st century.

Anonymous said...

I also was struck by Death's sympathy, even tenderness, toward the souls he collected. I believe I said before that it was clear that he didn't cause the end of life, just gathered the souls as they were released from the bodies. I am still affected by Death's feeling of being overwhelmed and overworked and the colors he reported to represent the events. A powerful portrayal of the horror of the time.
Paula