Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wait! I didn't mean to un-nominate those 2 books...

Hey guys. I guess I owe someone an apology. My comment on one of the two books nominated (anonymously) for book 3 wasn't a complaint, although I guess it sounded like that. I was just pointlessly commenting, as is my way, on Atlas Shrugged. Just b/c I don't want to read a particular book doesn't mean the book shouldn't be nominated. Maybe I should treat this blog a bit more seriously in the future instead of posting whatever random thoughts pop into my head. (But I sort of thought that would be part of the fun of the blog...you know...posting random and pointless thoughts among long-time friends. Isn't that the way we've been talking to each other for half a century? Maybe it was just me....that's depressing.)

On another topic: I'm about half-way through TBT, am enjoying it immensely, but frankly can't think of anything to say about it. Maybe I'm not suited to a book discussion group? Should I have more to talk about? My edition has a book discussion guide in the back. I've been avoiding it b/c I didn't want to be influenced by it. But I may resort to checking it out.

I will say this: The device of making Death speak, from time to time, in the first person is an extremely effective way to convey the horror of Germany in 1939. "We'll give him seven months. Then we come for him. And oh, how we come."


Greetings to all, lurkers and others. I promise to be more serious in the future.
Pam

1 comment:

one of us said...

Oops, sorry, I try to remember to sign my posts and comments. I was the one who already read People of The Book.

I loved Fountainhead when I was a "kid" but I don't remember anything about Atlas Shrugged.

Pam, nothing you say is pointless; I hang on your every word. And, yes, I agree -- we should be able to say whatever we feel like saying with this group. If we get grief about it, all the more fun!

I am enjoying TBT also. Death as the narrator is a fitting and fascinating perspective. I want to read some more before I comment further.

Paula