Monday, August 25, 2008

Graphic novels in the news.

I finished "The Quitter" and probably won't be reading many more graphic novels. It DID leave an impression, and I DID love flying through the story, such as it was. But I don't think these glorified comics will ever replace words on a page for me. I was surprised to find out last night, after I finished the book, that the Post ran a very long article yesterday about graphic novels (in the "Style and Arts" section). It helped, sorta, explain the phenomenon of graphic novels, but it didn't make me any more likely to read others.

Sorry that I've hijacked the book blog but my attitude is that it's here for the hijacking. And bless Paula's heart for at least chiming in from time to time.

Pam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I am again! I haven't started At Risk yet because I had to order it from B & N and it hasn't come in yet. I'd be happy to start another one next week but I'll have limited time to read it the following week because my cousins are coming in from San Diego for the AARP convention. We are going too! I know a lot of people who have gone in the past few years and they say it is amazing. The concerts are cheap too. We are going to see Chicago and Paul Simon. Great speaker and good workshops. Anyway, what do you want to read?

I have a book sitting here waiting for me to read -- I'm just finishing Away by Amy Bloom. I almost like it. One of my favorite paintings is Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party. I always feel as though I could just walk right into it, sit down, and have a glass of wine with the wonderful group of friends. Susan Vreeland has written an historical novel about the people in the painting. I'm looking forward to starting it. Does that interest you?

Today is Ryan's 2nd birthday!
Paula

Anonymous said...

Pam, how did you get a photo into the comment section?
Paula