Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Yes and No

Hi. . .

Yes Ryan is adorable. No I didn't drop off the face of the earth.

I just figured since we aren't reading anything as a group I didn't have anything to say. But I have been reading.

I've finished two books by Jonathan Lethem: Fortress of Solitude and Motherless Brooklyn. They're extremely different -- to the point of seeming not to be written by the same author. Ironically about the only thing they have in common is that they both take place in Brooklyn.

In the past week I've started reading TC Boyle's Drop City. Have you read anything by him? Interesting reading about the Sixties. Perspective is an amazing thing. I've read about a third of the book. He's still setting the scene. What is coming through loud and clear is how anti-women communes were. Perspective again: Shula grew up on a commune and it's definitely not anti-women.

As for what we're going to read when Hagit and I are there . . . dunno. I'll think about it. Whatever it is I guess we have to decide soon. Don't know if I want to read the Vreeland book. It's tempting in that we've made several pilgrimages to see the Impressionists all over France. We went to the homes of both Matisse and Renoir in Nice. The Matisse House is now an amazing museum. The exhibition changes (we've been there more than once). The first time they had several paintings hung next to the windows he was looking out when he painted them. Talking about being blown away! OTOH Renoir's house is a bit disappointing. You can go into his studio but there really isn't much of his work hung there.

I have the feeling that Luncheon of the Boating Party may be too similar to Girl in Hyacinth Blue. Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

Ed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you're wrong. I've only read about ten pages of the book but I couldn't wait any longer -- I just enjoy telling you that you're wrong!

Pam J. said...

Hello all,
This won't be a full comment, just a piece of a comment. I was re-shelving some books and came across East is East by TC Boyle, which reminded me that Ed is reading Drop City and asked if anyone else has read TCBoyle. I LOVE TCB and have read a bunch of his books: Tortilla Curtain, Talk,Talk, The Road to Wellville, many of his story stories, and a few others. Doug has read World's End, which I believe was TC's first. On my shelves and UNread are: East is East, Riven Rock, A Friend of the Earth, and Budding Prospects. He's one of my favorite 20th/21st Century writers. My friend Margo H., who some of you know, went to a reading by TCB in 1999 in San Francisco. This is what she wrote to me about it at the time: "He's a good speaker, and reads his work with a lot of expression. ..He was quite impressed at some of the questions, at how closely the questioners had read his earlier works. He's really likable and candid...AND I got there early and sat in the front row, so when he came out and was waiting to be introduced he sat down next to me. Couldn't help bumping me with the elbows that result from those long, lanky arms. Cool. AND he had on the MOST amazing shoes I think I've ever seen. Black leather, kind of buck-style, but then there were BRIGHT RED FLAMES coming up from the sole on to the top of the shoe all the way around. Otherwise, he was dressed quite conservatively."

Do you like Drop City Ed?
Pam