Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Another view

Seriously folks. How about if we agree to make a final decision when we get to about p. 350.

As for me I'm skimming the annoying parts such as the Noisy Bridge Rod and Gun Club and Ariel Hawksquill. (BTW, Ariel is a Hebrew name that means "lion of God.") Instead I'm concentrating on the parts I'm enjoying like the story of Auberon coming to NYC. With all the people centered around Edgewood I was finding it claustrophobic. Someone had to leave.

I think what's bothering me (us?) is that we're halfway through the book (more or less) and we still can't figure out what's going to happen. Perhaps, like the gift-wrapped box in Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, that's what's going to happen. It's just a vehicle to tell a story.

ITMT, in addition to shades of Through the Looking Glass, Crowley has added possible nods to The Wind in the Willows and also Doctor Doolittle. We've also determined that George is known for his use of and generosity with his stash of hash. Other parts of the ambiguity have also become clearer.

Does this make it a tour de force? Let's try to reserve judgement until p. 350.

As for me personally I'm less enamored of his language now than I was 100 pp. ago. But there are still parts of the narrative that I'm enjoying. The development of Auberon is lovely -- esp when contrasted with Ariel Hawksquill. And the notion of this bizarre farm (commune?) in the Bronx. . .

I have this feeling that at some point we have to get over the hump. Maybe we will.

My thoughts for tonight. One last thing: Can we try to post a bit more regularly?

Ed

1 comment:

lrfox said...

Nope. I leave the house at 7:45 and get home at 7:15. If I'm going to read, I need serious, serious engagement. What a fucking whiner I am. I cannot wait to start the Book Thief.

fox