Saturday, April 26, 2008

Genre

From wikipedia:
Fantasy is a genre that uses magic and other supernatural forms as a primary element of plot, theme, and/or setting. The genre is usually associated with the overall look, feel and themes of the European Middle Ages (including architecture, dress and technology), while the actual setting is often a fictional plane or planet where magic and magical beings are commonplace.
Fantasy is generally distinguished from science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of technological and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three (collectively known as speculative fiction).

The characters in Little,Big continue to stay vague to me, and apparently if I can’t describe what a character is like (“character A was in her mid-30s living in New York in the 1930s and blah blah blah”) then I can’t find a reason to keep reading. Am I being narrow in my inability to find the rhythm of a fantasy? Lots of books move back and forth in time and place, but this novel seems excessive in that regard. I wish I just bounce along easily, reading a few pages about one slightly “off” character followed by another. A great deal of the writing is nice.

I’d like to pose some questions to the remaining reader(s), god knows a bunch of them pop up on every page, but I don’t care about the answers.

Here’s my new plan, developed as I sit here at the computer, 12:30 late Friday night, trying to find something worthwhile to say. I have arbitrarily picked page 230 (“It wasn’t until Auberon was past seven years old that….”) and read straight through for 10 pages. I’ll report back about those 10 days in my next post. Might be just another harangue.

We watched the movie Atonement tonight. Missed it at the theater. Very nice. So true to the book, which I like.

Pam

3 comments:

one of us said...

I'm interested to see what you come up with after those 10 pp. I'm just a bit past that. I'm also interested in some of your questions.

The main one that comes to mind for me is where is this all heading. Perhaps it's just a vehicle for telling a story that doesn't really have a plot. Family history? Historical/fantasy/fiction?

I like Auberon and Sylvie but part of me just wants to move on. It seems like every time we move on, it's yet another character and yet another weird set of circumstances. And so then I ask myself where it's heading.

The bottom line is I don't have an answer. If I don't have an answer by p. 350 I may do something uncharacteristic for me and just skim along to finish the book -- to see if there's anything out there on the horizon.

So, since it seems to be the two of us, go ahead and ask your questions. If email is easier, feel free.

Atonement

I decided to take a pass on the film version of Atonement. I REALLY liked the book and wanted to keep it at that.

Back to the Blog

My final question for the evening (it's almost 9:00 p.m. here) is what we can do to prevent this frustration from repeating itself. Not that anyone is responsible. That's not what I mean at all. It's just that if we realistically expect to have three or four people (or more) participating we have to avoid the frustration that Little, Big has generated. The fact is even if I finish it I don't know that I'll recommend it to anyone. That was not the case with Atonement. But I like Ian McEwan's writing. Perhaps we need to be more selective somehow about what we read -- at least until we get more people joining in and getting used to the blog format.

I hope perhaps this comment will generate some other comments. . .

Ed

one of us said...

A longer reply later but...

I'm not sure we can prevent another Little, Big event (ie, a book we sort of generally agree isn't for us). We can forswear fantasies, maybe, but that seems radical. In the case of L,B I didn't spend ANY time finding out what the book was about. If I had known it was fantasy I might have been more adamant that we read something else. But as I recall (and this could be verified) only 5 people voted, maybe 6. You chanced upon a copy of the book en route back to Israel, which certainly influenced your vote. I lucked out and found a library copy a day or after after Larry suggested it.

I like doing this on the blog for some reason. Seems a little exhibitionist maybe, but not really (hi Doug...), since by this time maybe only you, Paula, Fox and I are reading this...

Pam

Paula said...

Yeah, I'm not reading it anymore. I never really got caught up in it, maybe because of circumstances; but probably not because I'll often read late into the night if I'm loving a book. Sorry guys, I'll do better with Book Thief (if it does better for me).

Thanks, Pam, for the comment on adorable Maya. I actually (poor me) got confused when I saw what you wrote because I too am "PJ"!

Ed, about Atonement -- I really loved the movie as well as the book.
Paula