Saturday, April 12, 2008

Dreams

pp. 153-154

She [Sophie] had always lived her best life in dreams. She knew no greater pleasure than that moment of passage into the other place, when her limbs grew warm and heavy and the sparkling darkness behind her lids became ordered and doors opened; when conscious thought grew owl's wings and talons and became other than conscious.

Starting from the simple pleasure of it, she had become practiced in all its nameless arts. The first thing was to learn to hear the small voice: that fragment of conscious self which like a guardian angel walks with the eidolons of self with which we replace ourselves in Dreamland, the voice that whispers you are dreaming. The trick was to hear it, but not attend to it, or else you wake. She learned to hear it; and it told her that she could not be hurt by dream wounds, no matter how terrible; she woke from them always whole and safe -- most safe because warm in bed. Since then she had feared no bad dreams; the dream Dante of her leaned on the dreaming Virgil and passed through horrors delightful and instructive.

This lyrical description continues (p. 154)

Don't you wish you could dream like that.

Some other comments:

When George Mouse shows up in Part III Crowley writes (p. 147) that he had taken 500 mg. of Pellucidar. Google this.

On p. 159:
One mouse late at night. I don't want to ruin this scene. For the author who is so particular about punctuation AND capitalization, I doubt that he mistakenly made this reference to George Mouse lower case. Especially considering it comes after the section about the Meadow Mouse (c + lc) trying to discover the secret of winter (from p. 129).

Names are obviously important and seem to represent more than just what characters are called.

Ed

3 comments:

Pam J. said...

Hi Ed,
The dream passages you quote (including the word "eidolons"...another entry for my list of unusual words) are very, very nice, a bit ornate, as is a lot of his writing, but I seem to like his kind of odd ornateness (is that a word?). Also, I recognize some of what he says about dreams "...the first thing was to learn to hear the small voice: that fragment of conscious self...." I think I sometimes do that in my dreams: recognize 2 Pams, one in the dream and one dreaming the dream...

I guess I finally agree w/ you that the names are more than just fluff or whimsy. They may indeed "represent more." Not sure what yet, and I'm not inclined to figure out a pattern (lazy reader perhaps?). The story is finally jelling for me a bit. I find myself wondering how August comes across to male readers. Is he lucky, or very unlucky, for getting all the nookie (sp?) he wants? But I may be off on a tangent in the book---
Pam

one of us said...

How does August come across to male readers? I'm not really into the "love 'em and leave 'em" kind of guys. I prefer a bit more depth and commitment.

However, we're reading a fantasy. Smoky may view/judge August differently. After all, Smoky certainly had a rather unusual childhood (at least by our standards). Didn't his mother run off? Also, it appears that Smoky is having an affair with Sophie so that may very well influence his view of August.

What still isn't clear is what kind of community this is. Parents that aren't parents, schools that aren't schools, animals that aren't animals. About the only thing we can relate to is that they see to have money from somewhere because no one seems to be either starving or in need of anything they really want.

Part of the difficulty in reading this book could easily be that it's a fantasy and we're trying to make things too logical.

Ed

one of us said...

I am only on page 90 and I haven't been participating in the blog because you are all ahead of me and everything I'm thinking has been discussed. When I read this post, though, I was prompted to make just a few comments.

I do "hear the small voice; that fragment of conscious self" often. I am aware of two Paulas just as Pam is aware of two Pams. Hmmm, a case of being literally "beside myself?"

I keep changing my mind about the meanings of the names. It does seem, however, that because of their very oddness, they must have more import. I think the last names are more interesting -- and some first names have been explained -- Cloud, Mouse, makes me think of Native American names but they also are reminiscent of a song that I can't quite get to.

Finally, I've felt from the beginning that I am in the middle of a wonderful fantasy. I didn't seem to feel as confused as some of you did -- I think I was just immersing myself in the story, knowing that anything I didn't understand was a tease and I would eventually come to a realization of the meaning.

I do think Crowley's writing is beautiful -- lyrical prose; but sometimes I think he's trying to hard.

I just told Ed that I've been overwhelmed with stuff lately and I lost interest in the book (unusual for me). I will pick it up again after I finish preparing for Passover -- actually now that I've read these latest comments, my interest is renewed!
Paula