Monday, March 3, 2008

Day and Night

Hi:

I'm beginning to realize that I'm going to have to cope with the time difference. When it's daytime for me most of you are asleep. When my day is winding down you're just hitting your stride. As a Grumpy Old Man (did you see that BBC TV series in the US?) I made two comments the other day that seemed different the next morning.

Specificially the apostrophe and the name of our literary benefactor. I can live with both. Thing is, when I think of reading I think of Mr. Vincent and Comp Lit. Most of my memories of Mrs. Biggs have to do with her temperament.

Pam: We could discuss the use of the AP style book for professional work. But since you're not doing that anymore I guess we can pass. After all these years it actually looks funny to me to see "Biggs'" without the "apostrophe s" at the end. No big deal.

Ed

2 comments:

one of us said...

Dear Grumpy OM,
I respectfully disagree: no one involved in a blog has to "cope with the time difference." Blogging isn't a real-time experience.

You'll note that I added the damn apostrophe es to the blog title. (I still think it looks crowded and fussy.)

(& BTW, just b/c I'm retired doesn't mean I've lost interest in debates over style, grammar, etc.)

Pam

one of us said...

Pam:

Pyrrhic victory on my part. You're right: It looks crowded and fussy. She deserves no less. (Ouch.)

Did I make it clear enough that with the passage of time I have vague recollections of certain people. In her case it's a negative vague impression.

At any rate when her name appears in all caps it looks strange. However, when it's c+lc I think it looks fine. But of course I'm used to reading newspapers from right to left so what do I know.

As for your interest in style debates, I'm glad to hear you're still in there to fight the good fight. Next time I have a tiff with someone or find some egregious examples of high tech gobbledegook I'll send them to you.

Two of my least favorite high tech-isms are the use of grow when what they mean is increase. As in "Grow your business." The other is to describe a particular application as compelling. Yawn.

That brings me to another question: Eats, Shoots and Leaves. What did you think? I got fed up very early. I didn't finish half of it. I do this grammar and style stuff all day long so I felt that's about the last thing I want to read about.

One more thing. When Hagit was sick (four years ago) I read almost no books. I couldn't concentrate long enough. (Spoke to other parents of cancer patients and apparently most have/had the same difficulty.) For quite a while afterwards the situation didn't change much. These days I read but somewhat selectively.

BTW, something very weird is happening with my email. For some reason email to Comcast addresses (you, Paula and Fox) is being blocked at my end. I spoke to my ISP yesterday and they admitted they're having a problem. But of course they didn't suggest the solution.

That's it for now.

Ed