Monday, March 10, 2008

Yes, Pam, I pore over every diagram. Sometimes, I try to figure out the sentence from the diagram; sometimes, I try to diagram the sentence. Some of those sentences are quite daunting to figure out either way! I did finish the book, enjoyed every word of it.

I am now reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (Pulitzer Prize-winning author of March). It is intriguing so far. It's a fictionalized account (what's that called Larry? I'm 60; I can't remember) of the history of one of the earliest illuminated Jewish texts, the Sarajevo Hagaddah. A rare-book expert is summoned to restore the book and she finds clues to its history. I am enjoying the investigation as well as the discussion of the book itself.

I'm not sure how I feel about discussing the book piecemeal because we may all be reading on different timetables and it's easier to have one deadline rather than several. On the other hand, it may be more interesting to talk as we go and easier for us to remember details. I guess if someone isn't up to an interim deadline, he or she can opt out of the discussion or just make something up!

As for the apostrophe issue et al: As an editor, I say, "Hurrah for E.B.White and AP!"
Paula

No comments: