Sunday, March 2, 2008

Greetings from the Middle East

Hi Group:

Here's an email I sent this a.m. It seems to have bounced back in several cases so I'm posting here.

First of all a link to an article from The Wall Street Journal analyzing what is happening in Israel and Gaza:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120398961080492299.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Now then down to business.

Shula and I have discussed the group. Actually Hagit also joined in the discussion. As much as Shula would like to participate, it's just not practical. I must have mentioned to most of you that when learning a new language the order is speaking, reading and then writing. IOW, after all these years in Israel, I don't feel comfortable writing. Anything. When the kids were in school I rarely wrote even the most perfunctory note to the school unless someone checked it. This despite the fact that I have no particular problem speaking and I read Hebrew newspapers without too much difficulty. It may take some effort but it's not particularly difficult.

The day or two after we returned last week there were several emails about the group. When Shula and I finally got around to discussing them she said that it takes her forever to read these emails. A point that I intuitively knew but forgot about because of the enthusiasm surrounding the idea of the book club. Going back to my explanation of learning a second language: reading comes second and writing third. IOW, finding a book translated into Hebrew is just the beginning. The real crux of the matter is that while it would be difficult for Shula to read the blog, she could -- with some effort. But adding to it would be too much effort to be enjoyable.

So, I think Shula will only participate in the group when we know that she's coming to the US. We usually plan our trips ahead of time, so we can (collectively) make the effort to read something that has been translated so that she can join the group in person rather than online.

Yes, I know this changes things. But that's the reality.

You'll indulge me for responding for Shula because an email explanation would just take her too long.

Now that I've said all this, I have two additional suggestions (other than Little, Big which I bought):

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

Two different friends in two different book clubs are reading these.

Don't really have time to describe what I've heard about both but you can check them out on Amazon. Is that a rude thing to say on a blog? Don't mean to be rude. Just running out of time.

Regards,

Ed

3 comments:

one of us said...

Why are my emails being blocked by everyone but the Dickters? I'm getting the following: "Recipient address rejected: Spammers Not Allowed."

one of us said...

Hey Ed,
So nice to see someone else fooling around with the blog. Are you the one who asked the question about emails being blocked? I don't know the answer, but I noticed that Larry F. quoted an email from Natalie that addressed me (as in "Pam, I think blah blah") but I never got the original email from Natalie. Did that make sense?

I fully understand about Shula.

And no, you weren't rude at all. Short posts are always better because, in my experience, most people only read the first sentence or two. For example, I'll bet no one is reading this...

Pam

one of us said...

I just read your comment. Actually I think the spam problem is from my end. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ed