Sunday, March 16, 2008

A suggestion

As always, I agree with Ed (right!) Vote is over, Little, Big is the book. To me, it looks like Pam, Ed, Paula, Natalie, Camy and I are the participants for this round. Can we hear directly from Doug as to what he is going to do? It's not clear to me.

I've started Little, Big but put it down when the book club came into existence and it was nominated.

A Suggestion

Can we read along and post comments as we have them? I realize that the problem with this approach is we won't always be on the same page (so what's new?) But if we do read that way (a little at a time) the blog stays dynamic and alive. As opposed to discussing a large section at once on an assigned day or week every 3 or 4 months.

I know this can't work unless we commit to a certain number of pages a week. I would go for that. To read 200 or so pages (perhaps in a couple of sittings) and then discuss it 3 or 4 months later seems static and uninteresting. If we are reading a 400 page book and read 20 pages a week, we'd be done with that in 20 weeks and we could move on to the next title. That works out to about two 400 page books a year with some slack built in. We could also read more books with smaller page counts. We could have a summary discussion when we are done with each book. This way the discussion stays alive and kicking. I don't think a 20-page-a week commitment is burdensome. I think we are all voracious readers and 20 pages would not cause a sweat.

For me the pleasure draws equally from the book and the ongoing dialogue with all of you. The book is a structure on which we hang our contact with one another.

So I am offering this up as an alternative. But I will certainly participate in whichever way the group desires.

lrf

2 comments:

one of us said...

Now that I think about it your suggestion is logical. No reason we all have to read at the same rate. As long as we're not reading a mystery it shouldn't really matter if we're not all reading at the same pace.

What I want to emphasize is your comment about keeping the blog "dynamic and alive." I absolutely agree.

As for the weekly budget, I'm willing to try 50-100 pp. The only reason I say "willing to try" is that sometimes if my work is extremely reading-intensive it's difficult to read at night. I guess that's my problem. OTOH that's what weekends are for.

I must admit that I've been thinking about a book club for a while but I never found an appropriate group. So again I agree that this forum should increase the enjoyment from each book -- while keeping in contact with each other.

So I guess my summary comment is: Let's get moving!

Ed

one of us said...

Doug says count him out on this round. Sorry he didn't reply "directly," as requested.

Pam