Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Russell Banks

In the next couple of months I hope to read The Reserve, the new novel by Russell Banks, so I guess I'll nominate it for the next round. I've loved his novels for years. (Hey Eddie: I started to write "...Russell Banks' new novel..." but decided to avoid the entire AP/S&White dilemma.)

Assuming we actually (a) get around to picking a first book and (b) agree on some general plan for discussing it, Ed suggested that instead of reading the entire book before a discussion we could:

"...agree to read each part by a certain date. That way we could discuss one part of a book while reading the next part." I like that idea. Others?

Paula, you mentioned reading something with a "little lighter subject matter." I like that idea too. I might post a short note about the diagramming book when I finish it. I'm only reading a few pages a day. I love seeing selected sentences diagrammed (Kerouac, Faulkner) and I actually study them. do you? Fox, do you?

I saw the movie Notes on a Scandal the other day and decided to buy the book (which is called "What Was She Thinking: Notes on a Scandal). I can't resist those 1 cent Amazon sales. The book jacket says "A complex psychological portrait framed as a wicked satire, it is by turns funny, poignant, and sinister." That's a tall order.

Pam

No comments: