Saturday, March 15, 2008

Third, how do we do this?

I guess the first big question, after we pick the book, is are we going to discuss it in person or online?

If the former, we obviously will get through only 2 books a year, which might be just fine. (Both Doug and I are always prone to getting sidetracked into other books or magazines, and I don't finish about half of what I start.)

Is anyone thinking we can discuss the book, or sections of the book, online? I think the jury is still out on whether people want to communicate this way. An online discussion might be Ed, Fox, Pam, Paula, Doug (probably), and (maybe?) Camy. Natalie might not be able to join in b/c of those technical problems.

So I leave you with those questions. Meanwhile I'm going to go knit another scarf. (I heard that Camy got bit by the scarf-knitting jones in the fall, and that she picked it up from Kate. Is that true? And Paula are you still knitting those great sweaters?) I got this great book from the library and I'm trying out one of the patterns:
Knitting New Scarves: 27 Distinctly Modern Designs (Paperback)
by Lynne Barr


Pam

2 comments:

one of us said...

Moving forward

I don't want to seem hard-nosed but we set a dealine for choosing a book. The book that received the most votes was Little, Big.

I think we should get started and see how it goes.

Before we agree about reading part of the book or waiting to have the discussion in person I have a question:

In traditional book clubs (where people still work for a living) how often do they finish a book?

I personally think that if we finish three a year that will be good. The fact is we all read other things as well.

That being the case, there is yet another possibility. We could read this book till summer. The first part (however we define that) could be discussed online and then the remainder -- and the entire book could be discussed in person when I come sometime in the summer.

There is a caveat. With the way jet fuel prices are going tkts may be so expensive as to price me out of the market. But I don't think that should stop us from proceeding. If I run into a problem later we can discuss that later.

Must get moving. More later.

Ed

one of us said...

Ed, you asked, "In traditional book clubs ... how often do they finish a book?"
I was in 2 book clubs. Both read a book a month. I think that's sort of standard.

Three books a year is fine with me.

Pam